Tuesday, February 28, 2017

What i've been working on....

Sewing is easier than it looks and at the same time way harder than it looks. I've been thinking about how everyone in the mori community has their own style. I absolutely love that about alt. fashion, but I'm at a loss when it comes to my own style. I really want it to be fairytale-esque and have been doing some sketches of what I want. I really admire people who can just put things together and it turn out amazingly. I'm... not that person. There are some days where I just try on all my clothes and mix and match them to find an outfit I want. Most times, however, I just draw what I want and try to make an out fit from the picture. After a while I started drawing things  that I didn't have, and realized that it's probably time to start sewing again. My designs have a tendency to come out horribly or way better than expected. That's why I said sewing is easier and harder than it looks. There's simply no in between. I guess I just need more practice.  this is what I've been working on lately.




elastic for the waistband

Making the waistband casing.


Boom! waistband done



I decided to make this cinch in under the bust to give it some shape. I know Mori clothes doesn't usually have a definite shape (... maybe a structured shape is a better way to phrase it) but I'm already large, so I think giving it some sort of shape will be better for me.






I'm really happy with it so far, now I just have to finish up the edges! Sew, sew, sew!

  

Here's another dress I've been sewing. The black ins made out of cotton while the grey on the left side is hand dyed muslin and the right side is grey with floral detailing. This jumper skirt kind of  reminds me of a Hanbok when I put it on just because of the silhouette. I think dark mori can still be dark and look like mori kei with out falling under the western idea of goth. I really like how this dress turned out because it can look like it has a gothicly influenced coord or just like a dark version of mori by simple changing the accessories. 



(dark mori with no gothic influence)




(slightly gothicly inclined). I 've notice that large black hats are popular with the mori girls/guys that are interested in western goth.  It always reminds me of Lydia Deetz from BeetlejuiceImage result for large black hat  lydia deetz 

 Mine is nowhere as large as hers but I like it anyway. I decided to use boots instead of flats, and a necklace with purple beads and a silver brooch. It seems, at least to me, that the witchy influence shines through in the harder material that's used. Things like crystals, metals (particularly silver because of its association with the moon) and bones.
I have to say that boots and pointed toe shoes look a bit creepier than regular old flats.




I really like mori kei because it looks like someone is wearing a waterfall at midnight...that sounds odd, but it looks like a nice feeling.


 Hmm... The best way I can explain the feeling is like this:
When I was younger  I used to wear really baggy shirts. ( they were actually my dad's, but I digress.) When I'd sit down to watch t.v I'd pull in my arms, and legs and leave my head popping out the top. If it was a lazy Saturday morning I would grab all the covers off my bed, surround myself with them and curl back into my t-shirt ball. I stayed tucked in that ball surrounded by that quilted nest for hours (or at least until my dad wanted the remote back.)
  
It's like jumping in a pile of warm clothes fresh from the dryer! Like a fabric hug, but not the uncomfortable one you give your long lost cousin you just met over a last minute brunch. You know, the awkward side hug that began with the both of you extending and retracting  one hand for a hand shake while simultaneously arching the other hand in the air to signal for a hug, then dodging left and right to see if a hug is even appropriate. The type of hug that eventually culminates in a uncomfortably soft collision of a mutually unwanted and lengthy touch. It's like the exact opposite of that.

Mori kei is also practical. I guess that's why I don't mind taking the time to sew or thrift for things. I know that I can use whatever I have for  anything. That being said, I'm not going to give up my love for OTT sweet pink frills. There's a time and a place for that. A time and a place , my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment