Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Timed prompt: write about an object you saw today.


write about an object you saw today.
Object: mint green bike

Image result for mint green bike with wooden two baskets
Time limit: 1.5 hours
 
Go!!
 
 
    I imagined a perfectly wasted Wednesday as I looked at the mint green bike in the shop window. It would start just before the periwinkle dawn. I guess it would be one of those days where I'd roll out of bed and glide through my morning routine. I rarely have time o eat breakfast at home so the smell of fresh blueberry tea, toast and the chocolate spread I got from my brother last week was a real treat. My apartment was small and whimsical, but perfect for me. My little burgundy table, now adorned with breakfast items, was beginning to show its age. It was worn and chipped revealing small bits of cedar wood in the smallest cracks an crevasses of the detailed swirls. On the other side of the table behind the rabbit shaped salt an pepper shakers lay my phone. I was going to do something I never thought I'd do. I grabbed  my phone cleared my throat, and speed dialed the number. My heart began to pound as I let out a coughing fit so ferocious that it should've came with a warning sign. The called ended some 2-3 minutes later. I felt a huge rush of relief, fallowed by guilt, then a soothing feeling of accomplishment. I called in sick, something in which I was known for not doing. I then pocketed my phone, shuffled past my Lhasa apso poodle, grabbed my bag and sashayed out the door. I popped out my front door and looked at my car for a while. I jingled and jangle my keys in my hand before throwing them to the bottom of my bag. I swerved from my usual path and headed past my garden and into the back yard. The wooden fence that graded my most prize possessions loomed over me as if the lumber guardians knew what I had in mind. I opened the gate and looked at the mint green bike I had purchased sometime ago. Back when I let myself get carried away in daydreams. It was lying there, stagnate, still, and cold to the touch. I don't know why I was surprised that it hadn't moved from the last time I rode it, but I was. I put my right foot on the pedal and swung my other over to the other side. Then I pulled out several hair ties from my bag and began to tie up any excess clothing that could get caught in the chain. I began to pedal my was back out the gates, waving goodbye to the guardians and the sneaky English ivy that crawled up the side of my house. The pedals were stiffened with age, but as I pushed they remembered how move smoothly. The faster I pushed the harder the wind would push against my face as the wheels would glide across the pavement.
    I merged off the asphalt onto a dirt road. The trees grew taller with every passing minute. The leaves bled colors from emeralds to  sunshine yellows, oranges, and cardinal red. The roads began to swirl and curve causing me to cautiously slow down. I pulled my tangled ear buds out of my bag and pedaled to the rhythm of each song. I occasionally oscillated my head to see the frolicking squirrels  above me or to catch the occasional deer pose in the second arabesque in between dancing through the shrubbery. The crisp autumn air made the warm smell of beignets more comforting, but where was hat smell coming from? I trailed the smell for awhile before arriving at a large cabin adjacent to a small greenhouse. I leaned my bike on the side of the cabin, untied my clothes an curiously looked around the property. The sign next to the door read "Rose's all day baked goods special! today only!" in pastel chalk. I then peered through the window and accidentally met eyes with an elderly lady. "I s that rose?" I thought. The lady gave a warm smile an waved me inside. I hesitated and remembered the story of Hansel and Gretel, but removed my helmet with a sheepish smile an walked in the cabin.
     The cabin felt much larger than it looked. The ceiling had wooden beams, and cream chandeliers hanged from them. The windows where adorned with cream curtains, and furniture looked like the vintage  findings of a nostalgic grandmother. The tables had lace covers and the chairs were a combination of benches and ladder backs. The wall furthest from me had cubbies stacked on top of another. Inside of them were plants, books, a pair of yellow rain  boots with  little sprouts of mother-in law's tongue coming out the top, a type writer, and a small sepia toned globe. The woman, who I can only assume to be Rose, waved her hand in my direction. "miss?" she questioned. I know I looked surprised and that that was why she began to chuckle. I admit I am the type of person to fall so deep into thought that it is very hard to crawl out. Rose continued with "where would you like to sit?" I've never been asked where I'd like to sit before. I'm usually stuffed in the back somewhere, or placed at a table where people are already seated. It's not an uncommon thing really. The crowds near my job made eating like that a frequent but necessary evil especially since I tend to dine alone. I pointed to the bench with the knitted cushions near the bay window. "Great, I get you a menu and be back in a bit , pumpkin." Said Rose. I sat down and looked at the back of an elderly man's neck before turning my attention to the other customers. None of them looked a like. There where two people closest to the door I came through. A man in a suit and a woman in a black dress with red hair. 
 
Time Stop! (this is a pretty good story but it's as far as I could get in 90 minutes )\
 
 
 
 
 Ahh! There are so many mistakes in here, but I guess that's what happens when you speed write.
Do you think I should continue the story? What do you think happens in the end? Want to give this writing prompt a try? Go for it! Think of 1 object you saw today an write nonstop for an hour and a half. Where does your writing take you? Did you stay on topic, or did your writing take a turn?  

No comments:

Post a Comment