Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Gothic garden planing -Form and texture.

I've discussed some of the decorative side of garden planning to make this segment a little more fun, but then thought "why can't the actual work be fun too?". (That being said the planing is a lot of work, but it just doesn't seem like it.) So let's jump right into it


Form: Now I've talked about the shape of plants in regards to visual weight (Eye level, below eye level, sweeping plants, and above eye level) but let's talk about a plant's form. Now form is just another word for the plant's overall shape. (It took me like 3 weeks in a gardening class to piece that together, so forgive me if my gardening jargon is a bit elementary) Now I mentioned that bushes/shrubbery would be below eye level last time, right? Well that's not always the case (I said it that way earlier because i didn't want to get to deep into different types of plants. I admit this way is a bit confusing, but I can clear everything up in a bit... I hope)  Now if i were to break form down into two parts, and I am, it would be

  1. the branch's form (or the form of the plants base whether that be vine or branch etc...)
  2. and the overall shape of the plant.
The first part is the indecent variable, if you will, and the second is the dependent. In other words the overall shape of the plant depends on the shape of its base. If I were to point out a plant with an arching branch, it would probably be a sweeping plant (below eye level) a weeping plant (has the same characteristics as a sweeping plant, but it at or above eye level. Ex: Weeping willow) or a plant with climbing vies (EX: English Ivy)

Texture: This is what I used to confuse form with. Texture is how the leaves, vines bark, flower etc... looks and feels. Those with "ooky spooky" gardens generally (at least from the ones I've seen) lean towards plants with a thorny texture,velvety petals, and/or  plants with curling vines.
 Here are 5  plant suggestions that are good examples of different types of texture and form.

  1. Roses, I'm sure we all saw that coming, but they're famous for a reason, right? Maybe you're into symbolism, or just like how they look, either way roses add color, texture and can be pruned to aid in the balance of visual weight.
  2. black night morning glory
  3. Borage flower
  4. corkscrew hazel bush 
  5. black hollyhock 


I know this was a bit of a short post, but hopefully I can add more content to the gardening section soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment