Tuesday, June 27, 2017

30 day poetry challenge Day 3

30 Day Poetry Challenge questions from  http://nadiasf.tumblr.com/post/7418962198/poetrychallenge


Day 3- Find the nearest book (of any kind). Turn to page 8. Use the first ten full words on the page in a poem. You may use them in any order, anywhere in the poem



I'm thinking a free verse poem would be fun.



  1. churchyard
  2. knife
  3. finale
  4. edge
  5. dreadful
  6. acquaintance
  7. fellow-sufferers
  8. foreshadowed
  9. betwixt
  10. circumstances

Sleep

I suppose my mother knew she birthed a heathen
when circumstances lead the family to early morning prayer
and to early mourning prayer we went
my brothers and sisters, and -I-
sat betwixt the edge of night
and the new day's dawn.

we'd often sit in the churchyard 
amoungst the retiring owls, and sorrowful  willows
reciting our dreadful prayers once again
burrowing our knees in the groves 
that previous prayers had made

and occasionally i'd look up to see
an acquaintance of sorts,
a child my age
we were fellow-suffers in that the carnal pleasures of
dreams were cut away with a knife
but in the holiest manner,  of course 
leaving those with complaints little room to speak
and even less room to hide and
If my mother's wrath  foreshadowed
finale judgment 

surly I would've been a god fearing child,
but the sweet tempting call of sleep would take me-
my wicked flesh simply could not wait for
a restful eternity
and thus, i lay my head back on the tree stump
and continued to sin in the churchyard.
  



I actually wrote this poem for a class assignment a while back...



Can you guess what book i used? I'll tell you on day 4

No comments:

Post a Comment